Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Words - Born to be wild

Has A stumble upon the perfect formula inspired by the B?
To come upon accidentally or unexpectedly

The band has plodded along for almost five years without an album
- to move along slowly but deliberately

There's finally a light in the end of the tunnel

That familiar surrounding of Khai's house became indispensable and the guys were able to create the kind of music that comes naturally to them.
- essential.

Is aware that going against the musical grain (Contrary to custom, one's inclination, or good sense.)
could be an occupational hazzard, but the band is prepared for the bumpy ride...崎岖不平的

peddling in 忙于琐事的

embraces 包含 the cool and trendy流行的

We do what we do the way we do

in conjunction with the Eco Film Festival 2010

forthright frontman
opinionated diplomat
silent observer
class clown
to create tunes of real resonance and richness

The Char Koay Teow Man

- He started to prepare my takeaway

- Wipe on
He wiped his hands on his apron 擦去

cockles - 海扇壳

wok ,炒菜锅

The Char Koay Teow Man
By OH TEIK THEAM


“WITH egg or without egg?” the Char Koay Teow Man asked me, as he wiped his hands on his apron.

“With egg,” I replied. “I don’t want any cockles, though.”

“Okay.”

He placed a piece of banana leaf inside a cardboard box as he started to prepare my takeaway.

I stood near his wok to watch him fry his char koay teow. He heated the oil in the wok and put into it some chopped garlic cloves, a dollop of ground chilli, and a few shelled prawns. After stir-frying this mixture for about 10 seconds, he added koay teow noodles and two teaspoonfuls each of thick soy sauce and light soy sauce. He finally added bean sprouts and cut chives to the piping hot food.

The Char Koay Teow Man then used his spatula to create a hole in the centre of the noodles, where he introduced a little more oil and an egg that he cracked on the edge of the wok.

“May I make a suggestion?” I said, trying my best not to sound like a smart aleck.

“Of course,” he said, without looking at me.

“I think it would be a good idea to crack the egg into a bowl first.”

“Why?”

“Well, if the egg is bad, it will not spoil the noodles and the ingredients that are already in the wok.”

Dividing an ebullient smile between another customer and me, the Char Koay Teow Man said: “To be sure, your suggestion is good, but the poulterer who supplies the eggs to me assures me that they are fresh. Taking into account his assurance – and I believe he is a trustworthy fellow – I don’t see any problem at all if I break the egg directly into the wok.”

It was a satisfactory answer, and I had egg on my face!

Piping hot: Very hot.

A smart alec(k): A cocky person who thinks he knows everything.

Of course: Naturally; certainly.

To be sure: Admittedly; certainly.

Take into account: To consider all the facts before making a decision or judgement.

At all: In the least; in any way.

Have egg on one’s face: To look foolish or be embarrassed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this site cykhor.blogspot.com. Lot of great information. I am Tech guy. I have been a Desktop Technician since 1997 but have tons of other interests. In my spare time... Oh, wait I don't have any of that (just kidding). Anyways, I have been aware of this website for quite some time and decided to join the community and contribute as well as learn a lot from others. I am excited to get started on the forum and am looking forward to a great journey together. Lots of potential friends and I look forward to meeting many online.